Everyone I know has this problem: there never seems to be enough time in the day for everything we need or want to do. It seems to me that being behind on all the things you need to do has become (or perhaps always has been) a part of our basic human condition.
I don’t know anyone who feels they’re completely on top of things.
At this time of year the magnitude of feeling behind seems to intensify- Too many things to do in too little time. We’re stressed and feeling overwhelmed. This is never a fun feeling, and yet most of us feel it most of the time.
So what can we do? I think there’s not just one answer. If it were simple, we’d have solved it long ago. But there are a number of things we can try, and I’ve found them helpful:
- Make a list. Then focus on one thing at a time.
- Work mindfully with your feelings of discomfort, uncertainty, and feeling of overwhelm.
- Work with your attachment to doing everything. Let go.
- Manage your energy. Learn to relax and replenish.
- Create flexible structure. Adjust over time.
- Let go of self-judgment.
- Don’t get overwhelmed! These are doable actions.